Friday, October 16, 2009

Making Cookies at 4:30 AM

GOOD Morning! Since I returned from America my sleep schedule is all messed up. I also have been sick and slept some really odd hours to help that go away. Well the sickness and the sleeping problems aren't going away. Yesterday and the day before I woke up at 4:30 am, it was cool I had some things I could do while I wasn't sleeping. Last night I went to bed at 5:30pm and woke up at 9pm so then I couldn't go to sleep alllllllll night. So I spent the night doing random things to keep occupied.....sleep was not one of those things. Finally after thinking about food and how I need to try and cook more or bake more I decided to do something about it. So at 4 am I got out of my bed and went to the kitchen to see what I could make. I thought about chicken and mashed potatoes but we didn't have any potatoes and I wasn't in the mood to eat. Since I didn't want a meal I came to the conclusion that making cookies would be a good idea......ha.
So as I got the mix out, added the egg and butter I started baking. The first two batches were pretty good, but not amazing. Earlier in the night I was talking with a friend that lives over here and she was telling me the secret to making good cookies is to make them with love. At first I thought she was joking with me but she was serious. I thought I would try it her way and make cookies with all the love I have in my little exhausted heart at 4:30 in the morning.
I said earlier the first two batches were okay, not amazing but okay......well then came the third batch. I did the usual measured out the blobs of dough and put them on the metal sheet. After placing the cookies in the little convection oven thing I went into my room to continue reading my bible and studying about the book of Jeremiah. I was waiting for the "ding" that let me know the cookies were done (just like I had done with the two batches prior). When the "ding" went off I went to get out the cookies.......
Here is the scene........
I put down my little bible and study book about Daniel, step off the bed and put my house shoes on. As I leave my room and head to the kitchen I am really excited about the cookies, I was thinking about how I could surprise my roommate when she got back from her vacation in two days with some cookies. As I enter the kitchen there is a strange billowing of smoke coming from the oven. My first thought was, "YIKES! I think my oven is malfunctioning! MONSTER!!!!! The cookies! The amazing chocolate chips I brought from America (you can't but Chocolate chips here you have to bring them in a suitcase). OH MAN! WOW! The smoke is really coming out!"
So I run over and open the oven and take out the pan. The cookies are CHARRED! I start trying to think what could have happened I know I am not the best in the kitchen but wow this was BAD. My first though, power surge.......the power must have done something wrong and my oven has to be messed up. It's a possibility because the wall socket it plugs into is problematic and electricity is always a little strange around here. After more thought I came to the conclusion that the butter and the egg might not have mixed in as well as I thought they did.
While all this is going on in my head tons of black smoke is leaving my open kitchen window and going into the people upstairs bedroom window. (there is this big 7x7 open window space in the middle of my apartment. It is in the middle of all three apartment floors.....it's the same opening and the people upstairs have their window open) I bet that was a really nice smell to wake up to, REALLY BURNT COOKIES.

I came to the conclusion I should not be allowed to cook in the kitchen, or more practically I should always stay right next to what ever it is that I am making.

No comments: